Post 61 in an ongoing series describing the design and construction of a kabukimon, a type of Japanese gate. This is a project for the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.
Starting now to fit the rails to the hanging stile of the right hand main door:
A closer look:
The other rail now fitted:
Closer look – though I didn’t bother to remove the clamps:
The battens fit to the hanging stile with simple single tenons each, shouldered all around, so they were comparatively quick and easy to fit. Took all of 5 minutes for the four battens.
Though it was not really necessary, I felt a hankering to assemble something, after weeks and months of cutting and cutting. The door seemed like it suddenly needed a trial fit:
I laid it over and got some clamps involved:
It’s the biggest door I’ve built, soon to be one of two.
It seemed like an opportunity to film the drawing together of the parts, so as to show the general quality of the fit:
A row of through tenons:
A closer look at one of them:
The door was then taken apart, and it was on to fitting the parts on the left side door. By the end of the day it was moved well along however it was time to sharpen up before things could proceed much further. So home I went.
All for this time. I hope you enjoyed your visit. Post 62 is awaiting your click.