Post 28 in an ongoing series describing the design and construction of a kabukimon, a type of Japanese gate.
After several hours of sharpening this morning, I ventured over to the shop. For some reason the electric blanket was no longer on – not sure why it had turned off as it had power. Anyway, the small umeki strip I fitted in between the mortises for the main crossbeam, kabuki, and the decorative flanking beams, kasagi, came out acceptably:
A closer look:
The other bit of patching I did yesterday, to the other nose piece’s side face, came out well I thought:
Back to the posts. With the patching work for the area out of the way, I could lay out and mortise for the kasagi:
In case you are wondering what the heck the kasagi are, here are the parts (in red) to which I am referring):
A closer look at that mortise:
There are two stub tenon mortises, and in the middle is the start of a mortise for a sliding hammerhead key. That mortise will be elongated later on. I’m waiting on the tooling.
The other post mortise for the kasagi came out similarly:
Then there was the other nose piece with the bowed kerf which I repaired yesterday:
It didn’t come out as I would have liked. The kerf sidewalls were simply not even enough, even with a wedge-shaped insert strip driven in, to obtain clean join lines:
Another area with the same issue -excuse the blurry close-up attempt:
One step forward, two back. The good news is that it is relatively easy to correct such issues in patching the sewari. I milled the grooves this time, using two settings of a straight guide edge to guide the router, so the kerf has gone from bowed to being two straight runs with a slight kink:
I put that puppy in the oven (the shop washroom with the little heater, I mean) and am expecting a better result tomorrow.
All for now – thanks for dropping by and visiting. Now for post 29