Post 9 in a series describing the design and build of a coffee table, end table and maybe more, all in solid bubinga.
Feeling confident that the table top slab would remain reasonably docile, I decided it was time to trim the slab to length and rough cut the tenon ends.
I referenced the layout off of the stress relief grooves on the underside of the table. Here are some of the layout tools I, ah, brought to the table:
Once I had determined the end cut lines, and triple-checked everything, I set up a long ruler against a machined straightedge to act as a circular saw guide:
The off cut is a fairly unique sorta piece really, but it went into the firewood pile all the same:
Ends trimmed to length, I then set up a second straightedge underneath, and use a double square to bring both straightedges into alignment with one another:
A closer look:
Once the straightedges were set up accurately, I used them to guide the knife lines defining the ends for the table top surface. These lines define the abutments for the breadboard ends to be fitted later on:
Both sides then complete through this stage:
With a cleanly cut edge to reference against, I brought my groover into play to hog out most of the waste for the breadboard end tenons:
Both ends done on both faces:
A closer look – some anchor seal was applied to the end grain for the time being:
I still have to do some final trimming of the abutments, but I’ll let the table sit for a few days more yet and see how any possible changes in board stresses as a result of the material removal might resolve. I expect that the material removed will further weaken the ability of the board to mechanically cup across its width.
A commenter in an earlier post asked for a picture of the top with some alcohol on it to show the figure a bit better, so here goes:
It’ll be dang pretty with some oil on it later.
Thanks for stopping by the Carpentry way. On to post 10.