Many hours of drawing work since the last post, however the reader likely won’t note too many obvious visual changes from the previous iteration. I have revised the shelving in the main compartment, added shelves to the lower compartment, and have done a lot of detailing with joinery. It is not terribly straightforward to configure everything when the conditions that I have set are for the piece to be robustly constructed, use no glue, and be demountable without reliance upon metal fasteners. I do like the challenge, and it does come with a fair amount of head-scratching. This project reminds me of the demountable doctor’s desk I built 7 or 8 years ago. That project was a bit of a saga, hopefully this one will have a smoother journey.
Here are some views:
Two shelves, will probably be of solid 3/4″ material with tenoned and mitered breadboard ends, though I may do frame and panel shelves as an alternative:
Two shelves for the bottom compartment as well:
All the shelves will be height adjustable, the bottom one’s though only be one or two positions up and down.
Here’s a view with all the doors and drawers removed:
I have started working my way through the design component by component, sorting out the joinery layer by layer and case by case. After three days of drawing, this is how far along that process is – not far!:
The framing around the drawers with the insert runners is some of the most complex in the piece – all so that it might be repaired easily down the line.
A view from below – I’m making a fair amount of use of wedged through-tenons:
Detail of the twin tenoned connection, with mitered tongue, which is seen where the drawer rails meet the post:
The tenons go through, and will be wedged and trimmed flush.
Oh, and in other news…the jeweler has produced a prototype of the hinged door pull:
It’s still raw copper and hasn’t received any patination yet. The pentagon portion of the mark has been dropped. not sure how I like it yet.
All for today – have a great weekend! On to post 11