Sorry about the lack of variety of posting topics of late, but this table has been a bit of a preoccupation. Post 36 in the thread.
Today I thought I’d simply whip off those levelers and then move on to all sorts of other tasks. The levelers however were not cooperative with my time estimation. Crap – how long could a few levelers take fer gawd’s sake?! Well, most of the day actually, and I took a bunch of photos. So many photos in fact I have decided to run right past my normal 15 picture limit for this post. If you have a dial-up connection, my apologies.
First task was to identify which way the grain runs in the chunk of Gabon Ebony I have. This is not easy – but with a fresh cut off of one end, and good natural light, the growth rings are just barely visible:
I did some drill press work, two cutters involved, and had the levelers defined on the stick of ebony:
One of the two steps on the drill press was to establish counter-bores for the stainless bolts:
The other three legs were then done, however the pilot hole step was omitted as I allready had the mortising jig calibrated. Still, I had more work to do in these holes, so I used a over-sized ebony plug as a guide bushing to center a transfer punch:
Next step was to chuck a 3/4″ Forstner bit into my cordless drill and establish a second counterbore inside the mortise. A fine plan, however the Forstner bit made about as much progress into the bubinga end grain as if I were drilling titanium plate. So, onto plan ‘b’ – I drilled a 4mm hole on the dimpled center mark, then used a 19mm Star M auger bit to plow out that second counter-bore. The 4mm hole centered the bit without letting the auger’s lead screw get too enthusiastic, if you, ah, catch my drift….
With the second counter-bore done, I decide to check out how a t-nut would drive into end grain bubinga, so I made up a piece to check:
Next step was to clearance the second counter-bore for the t-nut and 1/4″ screw shaft:
Back to the hardware. The neoprene washers are intended to give the leveler feet a little cushioning against impact shock (if the table were to be set down or dropped onto a harder surface, for instance), and to allow a little side to side play for the leveler pad. I used some permanent double stick carpet tape to attach the neoprene washers to the stainless fender washers:
So, I hope the surfeit of pictures today goes some distance toward explaining why the leveler feet took more time than anticipated. After they were complete, I went on to finish off the profiling work on the legs and patched the small bit of tear out from yesterday. I’ll save those pics for next time. All in all a decently productive day. I’m nearly over my cold, so look out world!
Thanks for coming by the Carpentry Way today. On to post 37