Rolling along with post 18 in this build thread about a Ming-inspired dining table. Ming inspiration with 21st century perspiration.
What we have today my friends are a whole bunch of pictures about the process I have been engaged in for the past two days. That process, working to complete the profiling on the outer table aprons, could be summarized as follows: rout, plane, scrape, plane, scrape, plane…. you get the idea I’m sure. Did I mention that a fair amount of planing and scraping has occupied me recently?
First though I made up a simple jig to tilt the router at a slight angle to remove a portion of the waste and define the bead:
As expected, pulling a 70mm plane is physically demanding after, oh, 5 minutes, and I was glad once in a while to switch around and put the Lie Neilsen scraping plane to use, on loan from John Z. upstairs, allowing me to work some other muscles:
Here’s one of the long rails at the 90% mark:
Once the 4 aprons were profiled to the target, I then cut the 4 aprons to final length, plus a hair. Then it was time to remove that material on the back sides of the sticks which I had drilled out a couple of weeks back. The slow-moving approach and gradual work I have done to remove material in a balanced fashion from the sticks appears to have paid off as the sticks remain dead straight.
To remove the remainder of the material on the backside, to a 3/4″ depth, I elected to rout:
That leaves me with only about 0.1″ of material on deck to remove with the router. That’s tomorrow’s first task on the list, and then I will move towards getting friendly with the corner joints themselves, which, as I mentioned in an earlier post, represent a fairly unique solution to joining the aprons and corner leg with a 3-way miter. Stay tuned.
Thanks for coming by the Carpentry Way today. –> on to post 19