Post 16 in this build thread. I’m building a dining table, the design of which is inspired by a Chinese side table originally made around 1580.
Work continues apace on the battens. In the last post I had roughed out the rod tenons on 5 of the battens. Over the weekend I managed to squeeze a little time in and cleaned up the rod tenons to final dimension. Here’s a view of the rods fitted into the mortises on the 5 pairs of battens:
Then it was on to the slot mortises on the rails ends of the battens. These feature a slightly different joint, for various reasons, then the ends already completed. These slot mortises are of the ‘+’ form, similar to the ones I did a while back on the tops of the legs:
Things went smoothly today for the most part, and the battens are at last pretty close to completion. At this point, the remaining work to do on them is to process the sliding dovetails on their upper surfaces, chamber the lower arrises, and give them a finish planing – after all fitting has been completed of course. An hour’s work or so tomorrow should get me though the fitting of the rod tenons through the central rail, and I’ll leave the dovetails until I cut the dovetail mortises on the table top panels.
Thanks for coming by today on your travels. –> On to post 17