I thought I’d start off today’s post with a few photos that I had no room for in the previous post…
Another issue that has slowed me down a pace has been the discovery a couple of days back that my long side braces were NFG. The problem lay in the already-cut mortises for the interior x-brace sets. Upon a double-check after noticing the discrepancy (and fortunately before I had started cutting out the tenons), I discovered something was awry in the slope angles for the mortise side walls. Eventually I figured out the source of the problem: I had taken the pertinent measurements for the mortise layout off of an old drawing in which I had laid the interior x-braces out incorrectly, resulting in them being parallelogram-shaped. I had moved on to another drawing, back to square 1 as it were, however I had omitted to delete the drawing which had the mistake from my set of files. Well, that’ll teach me! I’ve drawn this sawhorse so many times now that I had literally half a dozen complete or near-complete drawings all of which look very similar, and I simply referred to the wrong one when I was laying out. That cost me 4′ of 8/4 Canarywood and an entire day of work, not to mention a few choice epithets directed at, uh, no one in particular. I could have patched the mortises and re-cut them, but I decided to simply make them again.
Today I managed to get all the tenons on the long side braces cut out. The long side braces are these gippers:
Tomorrow I will complete the half-laps and fit the braces to the legs and the top beam, and hopefully have time to re-do the mortises for the interior x-braces, now correctly laid out. I’m starting to approach the end of this build and greatly looking forward to seeing how it all comes out.
Thanks for dropping by today. –> Go to post XXV