This ought to be the second-to-last post in this series, and today I’ll be showing mostly photos about finishing the piece after yesterday’s adventure in gluing.
After the piece was assembled and the glue had cured, it was time to trim the through-tenons. Some of the smaller ones, such are found at the frame corners, I trimmed off using a flush-cutting saw. For the wider through-tenons on the cross-pieces, I decided to preserve my handmade saw, as the Wenge is not what you might call friendly, and so I got out my Festool small router (OF1010) and used some carbide to waste the tenon ends (a cheaper proposition for sure in terms of wear and tear expense):
As always, trying to capture the surface quality of the material in really flat light is a photographic challenge for me, and one I largely fail at, but this image of the front edge of the bench gives an idea anyhow:
With the bench now laying in the ‘normal’ orientation, I was able to nail the top back in place, as it was originally. Of course, nailing in pine and nailing in Wenge are two entirely different propositions. I measured the thickness of the nails (0.0955″) and then selected a 2mm (0.0765″) brad point and got to work pre-drilling:
I’ll finish with a few random shots from around the piece, to fill out my self-imposed post quota of 15 pictures. Here’s one of the front corners:
I’ve been wanting to show the reader the delightful surface quality of the SYP infil boards after 30 years and thousands of people sitting on them – it’s a highly textured surface and wonderful to touch:
So, that’s that for the construction of the bench. I plan to install it in the coming week- it will have to wait for a decent weather day, which apparently rules out this coming Monday.
In the meantime then, I think I can return to the land of French sawhorses for the next post or two. Thanks for dropping by today. –> Onward to post 19