Tréteau 30

While I said this was going to be the final post in this thread, reality is not cooperating with that outlook, so there will be one more post to come after this one. My apologies to those of you hoping for some reprieve from what I’m sure has become a bit tedious by now.

The last couple of days have comprised some final fitting and finish planing of the parts. I had one patch to do in the side of the top beam:

The Canarywood is fairly cooperative when it comes to dragging a blade across its surface, save for the odd minor patch of rowed grain here and there. It’s a bit like Honduran Mahogany in that respect, only harder and stinkier. To tell the truth, I didn’t fuss overly with the planing, knowing how banged up this sawhorse will be in no time, and only resharpened 4 or 5 times during the process:

I also chamfered all the arrises, though it will leave tiny gaps here and there when certain pieces are brought together, but I’m not bothered about it:

The glue up, though the epoxy gave me 30 minutes of working time, was a bit of a nail-biting stress session. Actually, I didn’t even have time to bite my nails and was fortunate to have my wife around to help hold some part together during the first few stages of assembly. I might have been better to use urea formadehyde glue for its long open time, but I wasn’t sure how well it would bond to the Canarywood and didn’t feel like buying a $10 box of it for sake of experimentation. Here’s the horse all glued, clamped and wedged up:

I decided only to wedge the legs that are à devers, as the tenons on those two were shaped in a conducive manner for wedging. The faces aplomb legs with their irregular pentagonal tenons seemed too much of a hassle to wedge as the wedge would be working against the grain in a poor manner and I would have to make a parellelogram-shaped wedge for one end. Nah…not this time:

In the next picture, you can see how I dealt with the barbes that taper out to nothing – I trimmed them back about 5/16″ or so:

The epoxy was dry a couple of hours later, and I could start trimming the excess off:

Here’s the other end:

So, after the dust had cleared and the pulse rate settled down a bit, here we have a nearly-complete project:

Another view – it isn’t the easiest thing to photograph, as every photographic angle has some things in view and some things hidden:

The Canarywood sure is a nice looking material in some places – here’s my favorite spot:

Okay then, all that remains is to fit the sacrificial cap, and that will be on the slate for tomorrow, so I hope to see you then. I found a nice piece of radial grain fir for the cap. Thanks for dropping by today.

–> Go to post 31 (final!!)