Some progress has been made on the WordPress front. I’m still new to this site, having migrated here from Blogger a couple of months back, and still on the steep part of the learning curve it would appear. The sidebar I had installed with Paypal purchase buttons for material in the TAJCD series has been unaccountably missing and non-functional for the past month, but at last it is back and seems to be working as before.
WordPress, to their credit, acknowledged the problems I had been having, and along with decent technical support (something unavailable on Google’s Blogger platform), they just refunded all my money for two years of business membership on WordPress. And they will still provide me with full support going forward. Kudos to them!
I continue to work my way through old posts, cleaning up formatting errors and fixing post-to-post links so that it becomes possible to read through various build threads once again. I have just worked my way through the 87 posts which comprise the MFA Gate Build, titled ‘Gateway’, and that has now been added to the Thread Index. Additionally, I have added a permanent link to the sidebar for ‘Thread index’, which when clicked will take you to that page listing the threads which have been fixed up. I have a bunch of old threads still to go through and add, and hope to complete this work in the next month or two, adding new (old) threads as they get sorted.
Also planning to add a ‘Topic Index’ for those many posts here which are either very short series on a particular topic, or stand-along posts which may be related to one another, or not. Just trying to find good ways to make this site, with more than 1000 posts, more readily searchable and readable.
If, when reading an old post, you come across a link which does not work, language referring to things not present on the WordPress site, or odd formatting, please drop me a line and let me know about it.
Getting to the conclusion of the next to last week of fabrication for this project. Two principal items left are the shōji for behind the circular window in the alcove, and the sliding doors, ita-do, for below the alcove.
As a previous post detailed the construction of the two kake-shōji for the Japanese room, it would be redundant to go through the fabrication of the two shōji for behind the circular window in the same fashion. Nonetheless, I have a few pics to share.
After the frameworks are together, tenons are trimmed and some clean up done on the edges:
While the first frame is getting cleaned up, the second is getting clamped up:
Afterwards, a bit of attention is given to the faces of the frame as well:
I’m using mulberry paper, or kozo, on this set. Here’s one of the doors after the paper has been glued on:
A look at the joint between stile and rail, a haunched tenon with mitered coping;
After the paper was glued and left to set overnight, the next day the paper could be misted so as to tighten up any sags.
Here’s the pair of shōji then, just needing a little final planing along the meeting edge, which will be done after they are test fitted onto their sliding tracks in the next few days:
The parts for the lower sliding doors are well along:
Another half day of work should see them through to completion.
In the home stretch now, with delivery/install still planned for the 17th/18th of this month. The next post will be the eighteenth in this series.